Important update on Adrenal Testing
We now recommend the DUTCH Hormone Test instead of the saliva test for greater accuracy and more detailed information about the adrenal and sex hormones.
But if you are still wanting to know how to do a saliva adrenal test read on.
Adrenal Fatigue can have many symptoms and cannot be diagnosed very accurately from traditional blood tests. There are different stages of Adrenal Fatigue and to get an accurate diagnosis it is necessary to do a DUTCH Hormone Test, this measures DHEA and cortisol at 4 different times during the day.
If you already have your test kit these instructions will help you to understand how to do the test correctly, if you would like to order an adrenal stress test just click here
If you are uncertain of the collection procedure after reading these instructions, please contact our Customer Service Staff on 1300 688 522 who will clearly explain the procedure or email me at email@example.com.
IMPORTANT COLLECTION NOTES:
Before proceeding, please check through the following guidelines. Without taking these precautions your results may be inaccurate.
- Please follow the collection instructions accurately.
- On the day of collection; AVOID caffeine, alcohol and nicotine (don’t smoke two hours before test).
- During the 2 hours prior to collection; DO NOT eat, brush or floss your teeth or use mouthwash. You may drink water during this time.
- Before beginning collection; WASH hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Each sample can take 5-20 minutes to collect. Stay hydrated throughout the day to help with saliva production, and tips to increase saliva flow include running your tongue around your cheeks, yawning and the smell of food.
SALIVA SPECIMEN COLLECTION
1. Please collect saliva samples for each of the tubes provided at the times of day indicated below. Generally, if only one tube is provided you need to collect the sample between 6-8 am, and this is only for testing sex hormones.
To collect the sample, rinse your mouth with a little water and wait 5 minutes before beginning to collect saliva in the tube. During the collection, do not cough, clear your throat or collect mucous from the back of your throat into the collection tube. Allow saliva to accumulate naturally in your mouth, and when an adequate amount is collected, transfer this to the saliva collection tube.
3. FILL THE COLLECTION TUBE to the line with liquid saliva. Avoid foamy saliva or ‘bubbles’. Tap the tube with the fingernail or tap on a hard surface to reduce bubbles. Insufficient saliva samples cannot be processed. ENSURE THE CAP IS SCREWED ON CORRECTLY AND TIGHTLY TO AVOID LEAKAGE IN TRANSIT.
4. Make sure collection time and date are written on the tube and the cap is replaced tightly to avoid leakage. Place the filled tube into the refrigerator until shipping to the lab. DO NOT FREEZE.
5. Repeat steps 1 – 4 for each collection tube at the following times times 6-8am ( ideally within 30 minutes of waking up ), Midday, 4pm and 8-10pm or 30 minutes before going to bed. Ensure that you label all of the tubes of saliva correctly with the time collected, including am and pm
If doing a Female Hormone Profile (Basic or Extensive) please collect the
sample on day 19-21 of your cycle.
6. Fill out patient details including name, address, date of birth, contact number on the referral form.
7.Place all paperwork and tubes into Specimen Transport Bag then into padded pre-paid express post bag and post to NutriPATH. The results take 1-2 weeks to process.
Order An Adrenal Test
To find out more about ordering a saliva adrenal test go to Saliva Hormone Test Order Page or if you would like to do the most comprehensive adrenal and sex hormone test available check out the DUTCH Hormone Test